Sunday, January 18, 2009

And Who Is My Neighbor?

Today is Sunday, a day of rest. I will try and share my reflections, from now on, on the code I live by, and how that shapes my response to world affairs.

Here is a reply I recieved to one of my comments on a list serve in the midst of debate on Gaza, and my reply follows. My reply explains three reasons I believe, each and every one of us should take what is going on in Gaza personally.

First, the reply I recieved....

"Sorry, forgot that she is immoveable on a conflict that is so far
from her own backyard that one wonders why this is her battle."

Here is my response:

1. Once again, as long as the US uses my tax dollars to finance this genocide,
It will be my legitimate political concern. As for the genocide, why would
those who did not live in Nazi Germany be concerned with Hitler's removal of the Jews?

2. Of course, we all care, as we are all members of the family of man. Perhaps Israel promotes itself as "apart," but no one else does. That's the humanitarian reason to be involved.

3. And religion does play a part. Aside from the true fact that Israel's treatment of the palestinians does not distinguisb between Arabs that are Christian or Muslim, since I was raised Christian, as were many others around the world, I have the following reason to make this my "battle." :

"Mat: 41} Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

{42} For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

{43} I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

{44} Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

{45} Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

{46} And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

(please see also Mat:25:34 and Mat:25:40)

AND then there is the Parable of the Good Samaritan:
Luke:10:25-37 which has this preceeding context:

"On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?". "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" asked Jesus. The man answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

Now, these are the basis for MY values.
(I know the New testament is NOT the Torah.)

take care, we are all neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment